I don't use use recipes, I just cook. Some recipes are complete and some not so much. Got a question or need more detail? Ask me. If you try a recipe please leave a comment about how you liked it, or didn't, and any variations that you did. Recipes are not scientific formulas, and it is useful to see how ingredients and amounts can be altered to get a different result.
Pork Medallions with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Very simple dish with simple ingredients. serves 3 or 4.
12 ounces roasted red peppers and water
One quarter of small can of diced tomato
One sliced onion
Two cloves garlic
One pork tenderloin
1/2 teaspoon Worchester sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon or more of Tabasco brand chipotle pepper sauce.
2 cups Israeli couscous (Note Israeli couscous is different from regular couscous ; it is available here.)
3 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup of grated parmesan
2. Put roast peppers in a blender with the diced tomatoes, Salt, brown sugar, chipotle sauce, garlic, and purée.Pour the purée into the sautéed vegetables.
1. Put onions, mushrooms and cauliflower in a sauté pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Cook on medium to medium high heat to brown slightly.
3. Simmer the purée on low to medium heat.4. Remove the silver skin from the pork tenderloin by first cutting under the tendon then pushing the blade lengthwise. Cut into 2" lengths
Stand each section upright I.e. the cut end facing up. salt and pepper the sections generously.
5. heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of clarified butter or GHEE. Heat the skillet until the ghee is really hot i.e. About 450 degrees, it starts to smoke at about 480°, and add the tenderloin sections, again with the cut and facing up. Cook about two minutes on first and 1 minute on second side. You want a nice brown crust.
6. Transfer to an oven set at 225° and cook until internal temperature of 140-145° has been reached. Note the way the temp probe has been insertedThis will take about 20 minutes. Picture of cut pork chows color at 142 degrees
7. Put one cup of Israeli couscous in the sauce pan used for the pork, add 3 cups of water or chicken broth. Bring to boil then turn down and simmer until liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and stir in the parmesan
8. Assemble and serve!
Variations This recipe can be modified in many ways.
Substitute fresh peppers and tomatoes:
Change the ratio of papers:tomatoes or even leave the tomatoes out.
Pasta could replace the couscous.
A little cream would make the sauce richer
Fennel could replace the cauliflower
Smoked bacon could be added to the sauce
Fresh herbs like basil, rosemary or thyme would be great